Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CCM MaD. We hope you enjoy your visit.

If it's your first time here please make your first post in either the 'Welcome' or 'Chat' section so we can verify your account quicker, untill verified your posts will need to be manually approved before they show, please be patient.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Wheel spacer problems and more!
Topic Started: Jun 29 2018, 11:00 AM (72 Views)
Matti
Commoner
[ * ]

Hi everyone!

I'm new to ccm ownership and I've got a few questions for those that might know.

I've bought a 640 supermoto with a spare set of dirt wheels. Both on ajp hubs. The rear wheel is over to the right though, chain is rubbing on the 150 tyre and the bolt for the chain guard is touching the rim. I've checked the spacers and they are the correct 17mm on left and 19mm on right that's listed on haines but I notice there's 3 or more mm of space left over when the axle is loose. It's like the right spacer needs to be more like 22 or 23mm? I think the chainline is out too as the sprocket is worn on the outside edge. I wonder if somehow the spacers have been mixed up or maybe came with the dirt wheels? Bearings are correct as far as I can tell.

Other issues are the back brake master is leaking. It's a brembo. The rebuild kit on haines seems pricey, any alternatives? Or a equivalent master from another bike?

Wp Fork seals are leaking too. I've done RWU units before but never upside downs. Any particular issues or special tools?

Many thanks if you can help with any of this. Particularly the spacers! I'm currently thinking ill just have to get the chain line correct then make spacers to suit. Then dish the rim if its out of alignment.

Thanks!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Monty
Member Avatar
Charlie Big Banana's
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
welcome to the site, I'm having a go, but if you had posted in the welcome section first, one of us mods would have found it earlier to approve, we dont get notifications of new posts, we have to look for them.

some spacers are the same both sides, try fitting short on on caliper side. will be the same for dirt or sumo wheels
as for fork seals get some from a ktm dealer, they last longer than cheap ones from pyramid parts on flea bay
If it aint sharp I can play with it
My Utube Channel, lots of bike vids here. Subscribe if you likehttp://www.youtube.com/user/choppermark?feature=watch

Posted Image

Matti
Commoner
[ * ]
Yep sorry about that, I should have read the rules first! :shy:

Great tip on the fork seals, I'll tap up the local dealer. I've fitted pyramid ones before and they didn't last. I assumed that was me! I might take in the rear master too and see if they can help there.

I've made a bit of progress with the rear wheel too. It seems the supermoto rim is dished 4.25mm to the sprocket side compared to the dirt rim. I need to double check this and be sure the chain line is right but the dirt rim is dead centred in the swingarm too so if its not the whole problem it's part of it. I think maybe someone has messed the spacers about trying to solve the dish issue.

Another issue has come up, when I had the front sprocket cover off its leaked oil from the lower mounting bolt hole. Is this normal? It's got no seal on it and I assumed it should be a blind hole. Either way it's through to the inside so I think I'll lock and seal a stud into the hole and use a nut on top.

Monty
Member Avatar
Charlie Big Banana's
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
no oil should come out of the lower hole as should be blind, probably a over zelus previous owner over tightened and stripped the thread, use some ptfe tape on the bolt when assembling or as you say a stud with a nut will do the trick

the offset on the wheels should be the same, either from a different bike or have been rebuilt wrong

you may have to remove a seal and take to ktm dealer, cant help with part number as only have the 404 part number which is a 48mm, you need a 43mm, they may like the 404 have 2 thicknesses, From Jim Aims they are about 10 ea, I have the proper seal driver but used a bit of 40mm waste pipe cut down the middle to knock new seals in
If it aint sharp I can play with it
My Utube Channel, lots of bike vids here. Subscribe if you likehttp://www.youtube.com/user/choppermark?feature=watch

Posted Image

Matti
Commoner
[ * ]
Good advice, thanks. I'll do exactly that 👍🏻

« Previous Topic · 604 DS & R30 · Next Topic »
Add Reply