Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CCM MaD. We hope you enjoy your visit.

If it's your first time here please make your first post in either the 'Welcome' or 'Chat' section so we can verify your account quicker, untill verified your posts will need to be manually approved before they show, please be patient.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Electrical problems 404ds
Topic Started: Jun 9 2017, 11:43 AM (693 Views)
jamie96
Knight
[ *  * ]
Hi.
I've been hit with a trifector of electrical problems which I think from a look at the wiring diagram maybe interconnected.

1. Brake light stopped working (tail light still works just doesn't intensify when either brake is applied)
2. Indicator became faulty (firstly the timing went then only indicated left with a clearly audible click)
3. Speedo was throwing up readings all over the place. Apparently I achieved circa 320 mph !!

First of all I changed the hall effect sensor. Speed readings still sporadic.
Then disconnected each brake switch. With no improvement. Find it hard to believe they both failed simultaneously.
And then I changed to a new indicator relay from Haines. Which is different to factory. Cylinder 2prong as apposed to the stock 3pin brick. Now only the front right indicator activates.
Anyone got any suggestions or similar experiences ??

Cheers
Jamie
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jamie96
Knight
[ *  * ]
Completely disconnected the indicator relay and now the brake light is operational.
So is the relay Haines sent me not compatible even tho they think it is ?
Anybody know where I can get the three pin relay ??

vinny900
Marquess
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
A 2 pin indicator relay should work i think - you just need to ignore the black wire ( ground) . usually indicator faults are to do with the indicators. obviously if they are faster or slower or just one side, its not the relay, but the indicator connections themselves.

Really dont understand about disconnecting relay making the back light work, as they should not be connected.

And re the speedo, again if the sensor is working ( you are getting a readiing ) then I would suspect the speedo unit itself. They are not the most reliable

Davie_M
Member Avatar
Tight Git
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I think the third wire is just an earth on the indicator relay
a three pin rely can be got from ebay

jamie96
Knight
[ *  * ]
I couldn't see a spedo unit on Haines website. Is it the acumen itself or it there a separate module that needs replacing ??

vinny900
Marquess
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Unfortunately the acumen units are no longer available and not serviceable. They do go wrong eventually, from something minor such as warning light ( which you can live with or add a separate light , to speedo, which is usually the time to think about a VAPOR units or something similar

The only two bits are the speedo unit iitself and the sender, and if you have replaced the sender, then it looks like the speedo. Has the bike been left out in the rain at all. My unit used to work fine until the bike sat out in a monster thunderstorm.

After the storm nothing worked at all , but about 10 days later the speedo started working and some of the other functions, although indicator warning always stayed on and high beam warning went.

So if this could be a possibilty hopefully the sunny hot weather ( at least where we are) should dry it out

« Previous Topic · 404 DS & R35 · Next Topic »
Add Reply