Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CCM MaD. We hope you enjoy your visit.

If it's your first time here please make your first post in either the 'Welcome' or 'Chat' section so we can verify your account quicker, untill verified your posts will need to be manually approved before they show, please be patient.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
404 air filter - cheaper alternative
Topic Started: Dec 5 2012, 08:00 PM (7,253 Views)
mpsmith83
Commoner
[ * ]
Looking to replace the air filter in my 404. Haines have them for sale at 28 odd.

Sounds bloody expensive to me..

Is there anywhere else i should be looking?

Cheers,

Mike
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rob 110
Member Avatar
God
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
expensive and crap!
inverted design catches mud/water/crud which gradually drips through the filter and gets sucked in :o
i used to get hesitation on mine after water splashes because it was drinking (muddy water marks on carb side of filter :(
i changed to this
http://ramair-filters.co.uk/automotive-acc...al-fitment.html
5 and you can get 2 out of it
it stays flat so no pooling of crap
no real loss in performance and they stay cleaner for longer

i tried it without a cover, just made a frame to clamp it, but too much crap gets in
Posted Image

keep the plastic cover/clamp on to avoid the mud/crap (my cover had loads of holes drilled, but i taped over them)
Posted Image

hth
Edited by Rob 110, Sep 15 2013, 03:00 PM.
CLICK HERE TO DONATE TO THE FORUM

DIRTY R30 644 '03 TPS done, gubbins gone, GSXR can, 150 main, 27.5 pilot, needle 2nd position, K&N no lid
FILTHY 404DS '04: 152 main, 70 pilot air jet, 38 pilot, emm needle 4th clip, Quill T3. Sold :(
HUSKY FE501 missile
Posted Image

mpsmith83
Commoner
[ * ]
This is why i love forums... For suggestions like that Rob. Cheers.

Bought some of that and will give it a go. I've just cleaned my existing filter with some specific air filter cleaner but i agree, the original design of this on the 404 is poor.

Another quick question... The breather (drip) pipe that comes out of the bottom of the air box has a metal valve half way up, this is blocked... I can't seem to unblock it at all. Is it necessary? I'm presuming the valve is 1 way only and would compromise the drain of the air box if i just removed it?!

Cheers

Rob 110
Member Avatar
God
yup you can remove it, but you are then allowing unfiltered air/water straight in!!
it needs replacing with another oneway valve

get one like a rubber cap that fits over the bottom of the airbox outlet, its got a slit in that gets sucked shut by airflow, but opens to let water out

my old XR had one, 3, item 16
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motor...0&block_03=7686

clearer pic here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-RM125-RM8...=item2325cd0581

or a decent dealer/spares place should give you summat similar to fit

hth

DIRTY R30 644 '03 TPS done, gubbins gone, GSXR can, 150 main, 27.5 pilot, needle 2nd position, K&N no lid
FILTHY 404DS '04: 152 main, 70 pilot air jet, 38 pilot, emm needle 4th clip, Quill T3. Sold :(
HUSKY FE501 missile
Posted Image

404offroad
Baron
[ *  *  * ]
robs filter idea works a treat ,used my 404 for offroad only and was having trouble with muck and crud getting into the air box, tried robs cheap filter idea and didnt have anymore problems with it ,and you can make 2 filters out of the foam you get.. happy days :D

Rob 110
Member Avatar
God
i should delete these threads and start selling '2 for 29' ;) :D

HUSKY FE501 missile
Posted Image

jon404
Viscount
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just been on Ramair website to buy filter for Rob 110's air box mod. Apart from the obvious extra cost, has anyone tried the universal filter complete with mesh, using the standard filter retainer instead of fabricating new plate. Is it possible reduced airflow or am I being dumb? Just a thought.

mpsmith83
Commoner
[ * ]
Got my delivery from Ramair just before xmas. I've not had time to replace the old air filter yet but that will be my next job.

Cheers to Rob for this one.

danno82
Knight
[ *  * ]
Does the filter sit at the top of the air box, or do you push it down a bit? Thought I'd ask as I am awaiting delivery from Ramair. Cheers
Danny.
TO DARE IS TO DO !!!

Rob 110
Member Avatar
God
yup sits on top edge of airbox
use the plastic cover and metal clamp tp hold it down

draw round the old filter rubber lip +5mm all round and cut the foam to that
should be enough for 2 from the Ramair foam
smear some filter grease round the lip before putting the oiled filter in
grey fine foam is inside, black coarse foam is the outer prefilter

HUSKY FE501 missile
Posted Image

danno82
Knight
[ *  * ]
Ideal. Thanks for advise Rob...I appreciate it!!!
TO DARE IS TO DO !!!

danno82
Knight
[ *  * ]
All done... Cheers!!!
TO DARE IS TO DO !!!

DonkeyBike
Member Avatar
DonkeyBiker
[ *  *  * ]
Bought a Pod filter as suggested on here LINK by Chez, fantastic job....

" MR-009 Foam Pod Air Filter - 52mm ID"
CCM404DS@AdvIrl.com

Pampera
Baron
[ *  *  * ]
I've just had a thought...Should the stock filter go in the other way up...like a barn roof?

When I got my bike the filter and the cover were both concave...ie sloping down to form a sump...if they were the other way up, they would shake water off. I'll have a look tomorrow and see what's possible.

Rob 110
Member Avatar
God
indeed Pamp, but mine wouldn't fit convex as it rubbed the plastic cover

HUSKY FE501 missile
Posted Image

Pampera
Baron
[ *  *  * ]
You are right...

« Previous Topic · 404 DS & R35 · Next Topic »
Add Reply