Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CCM MaD. We hope you enjoy your visit.

If it's your first time here please make your first post in either the 'Welcome' or 'Chat' section so we can verify your account quicker, untill verified your posts will need to be manually approved before they show, please be patient.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
R30 644 base gasket
Topic Started: Oct 18 2014, 05:19 PM (13,365 Views)
conair
Viscount
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well the honeymoon period (2 weeks since i bought it lol) is over by the looks of it :what:
So after getting the 150/27,5 jets all in and the bike running wicked today i was going to have a run out to Whitby its only 20 ish mins from where i live, half way there i had to stop at road works put me foot down and it was slippy ! looked down to a foot full of oil :chin: so turned round steady run home cleaned every bit of oil and started it up and seems to be coming from the middle ish under the carbs so looks like base gasket, iv had a search and i find very little on changing the base gasket and what other if any gaskets i will need ! i checked on Haines and they have 3 different base gaskets :drool: is it best to fone them to get the correct part ?
I might have to get some1 to do this as atm im doing 7 days a week and 12hrs a day (we are having a shutdown) couldnt of happened at a worse time lol..
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Monty
Member Avatar
Charlie Big Banana's
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
As far as I'm aware there is only one gasket for the 644, its a uprated one, not a paper one, think 18 each.

A new head gasket will also be needed, and possibly cam chain adjuster gasket, can be done in under 3 hours with cups of tea
If it aint sharp I can play with it
My Utube Channel, lots of bike vids here. Subscribe if you likehttp://www.youtube.com/user/choppermark?feature=watch

Posted Image

conair
Viscount
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for that, just checked and theres 1 for just over a tenner and 1 for 18-78 so that must be the dude and 27.22 for the head gasket. i take it if i just go by the suzuki manual (think i have seen it on the site somewhere)for the cam timing marks ect that will be ok !

wirral121
Duke
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just been looking up cam chain tensioners on 644 engines it appears the gaskets go and looks like the base gasket gone maybe degrease engine put talc on and just check its not just the CCT could save on stripdown .

wirral121
Duke
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just been looking up cam chain tensioners on 644 engines it appears the gaskets go quite often, and looks like the base gasket gone maybe degrease engine put talc on and just check its not just the CCT could save on stripdown + gasket costs.

conair
Viscount
[ *  *  *  * ]
deffo not the cct that is dry as a bone and the engine is as new you could eat your dinner off it :) thanks to previous owner. i washed the oil away and when started you can see the oil coming out 1/2inch right of centre so pretty close to the cct..

Monty
Member Avatar
Charlie Big Banana's
That's always where they go, just below the cam tensioner, When mine went, I decided it was a good opportunity to go 710, Most let go around 2k, some hang on for many more. It was a familiar prob several forums ago
My Utube Channel, lots of bike vids here. Subscribe if you likehttp://www.youtube.com/user/choppermark?feature=watch

Posted Image

conair
Viscount
[ *  *  *  * ]
milage is about spot on then as mine had 2800 on it 2 weeks ago when i bought it and iv put 700 ish on it now, 260 mile a week commute and a few hrs fun at the weekends, i did notice when i bought it the original base gasket or the gasket without the sticky out rivet holes was on.
As i am going to be doing a gasket replace over this week time permitting as we are doing 12hrs a day atm :( does the site have a strip/rebuild set of pics for this job and if not would you be interested in me doing a set of pics start to finish ...
Edited by conair, Oct 19 2014, 07:32 PM.

Monty
Member Avatar
Charlie Big Banana's
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jil77ygks7bkn7r/AAB-Xz8VWfSTsZiT9oSTRIrBa/CCM/644/Base%20Gasket%20Replacement%20.pdf?dl=0

Posted Image

conair
Viscount
[ *  *  *  * ]
Iv searched the forums and seem to be getting different settings ! when i redo the valves what is the correct valve clearances for the 644/R30 ? iv read from 0.1 to 10 thou ! mmmmm and is this mm or old money ! lol just stripping down motor atm so hopefully putting all back together in a few hours.

Monty
Member Avatar
Charlie Big Banana's
4 thou inlet 8 thou exhaust

whats mm? is it something to do with this new fangled metric stuff.

good ol' feet "n" inches, tiss what I like

Posted Image

conair
Viscount
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for that Monty and yer the metric didgeridoo does my tree in as well lol old school eh :)
I have a dilemma here, everything stripped and new base gasket fitted/all mating surfaces cleaned up and i have dropped the cylinder back into place BUT what i just noticed is the DOWEL PINS between the crankcase and cylinder they are both on the left as your sat on the bike but on the cylinder head 1 is rear left and the other is front right !! are they not supposed to be in the same position on bottom of cylinder and head to cylinder ?

Monty
Member Avatar
Charlie Big Banana's
with out going to the garage to have a look, I cant say. but I do know that the dowels will only fit in their correct place, ie, which ever hole they fit in will have been machined out to take them, plus the hole in the gasket will be larger,

all they are for is to make sure everything fits in the correct place, so I don't think they should be in the same place top and bottom

Posted Image

conair
Viscount
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks Monty, i d/loaded the suzuki manual and it is right so all the motor and carbs are now back together, BUT the nitemare continues lol camchain seems as tho its 1 link too short and the sprocket just will not fit onto the cam it looks like its too short and needs to go up 1/8-1/4inch so it will locate, man i man wheres the matches, all i can think of is when the chain went slack taking everything apart/back together the chain hasnt located on the bottom sprocket and may have a link not located on the bottom of the sprocket but is on the sides if you know what i mean ! 2 hrs and counting trying to get the sprocket on the cam pffftt :(
Edited by conair, Oct 24 2014, 06:44 PM.

Monty
Member Avatar
Charlie Big Banana's
you have removed the tensioner I take it, the chain can not jump off the bottom sprocket as there is a guide in the lower part of the engine.

Posted Image

conair
Viscount
[ *  *  *  * ]
as you can see here the sprocket will not go any higher, you can just see half of the locating pin thru the hole but deffo something not quite right...
Posted Image

i have the rear tensioner out, the front 1 is in, but that has to be in as its between the head and the barrel
Edited by conair, Oct 24 2014, 07:37 PM.

Monty
Member Avatar
Charlie Big Banana's
What I mean is the tension adjuster, have you removed it, rear of barrel and 2 x 6mm bolts, if this is removed then the rear guide moves out giving the chain some slack

Posted Image

conair
Viscount
[ *  *  *  * ]
sorry got ya, yes thats out.

Monty
Member Avatar
Charlie Big Banana's
Then you need to rock the crank using the chain, as I recon it has kinked its self, Pull the chain 1/4 of a crank rev both ways to see if it frees its self,

Or the chain guide is not in its pocket, this will be the front one as its fixed in position

Posted Image

conair
Viscount
[ *  *  *  * ]
front chain guide is fairly solid going to try the crank turning if that doesnt work head/barrels coming off again..

I owe you a H U G E beer :worthy: did the crank turn and after a few turns the chain jumped up :dirtbike: and the motor is back in 1 piece more or less lol, gotta check valve clearances put oil pipes/exhaust and a few plastics on and hopefully the sound of music will blast from me garage once more :drool:
Thanks again Monty your a star.....
Edited by conair, Oct 25 2014, 02:08 PM.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 644 DS & R30 · Next Topic »
Add Reply