Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CCM MaD. We hope you enjoy your visit.

If it's your first time here please make your first post in either the 'Welcome' or 'Chat' section so we can verify your account quicker, untill verified your posts will need to be manually approved before they show, please be patient.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
r30 cafe racer; R30 TO A CAFE RACER ON A SHOESTRING BUDGET
Topic Started: Apr 21 2014, 06:41 PM (25,916 Views)
wirral121
Duke
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
BEEN AWHILE JUST UPDATING ON PROGRESS ON CAFE RACER CONVERSION.THE REAR SEAT FOAM WAS NOT WORKING FOR ME SO I CLAD IT WITH THIN ALLOY AND STRONG CARDBOARD TO GET BASIC FORM. TAPED OVER TO SMOOTH OVER JOINTS . A 2M SQ FIBRE GLASS KIT EBAY £34 WAS ORDERED , THIS IS WHEN IT WENT PEAR SHAPED, I KNOW SILVER FOIL TAPE SHOULD BE USED AS THE GLASS FIBRE GENERATES ALOT OF HEAT WHEN IT STARTS TO SET. I IGNORED THIS STAGE AND MY TAPE PICKLED UP WITH THE HEAT LEAVING A FINISH LIKE CORRUGATED CARDBOARD. THIS TOOK ALONG TIME TO STRAIGHTEN OUT, FOUR COACH BOLTS WERE GLASSED IN PLACE IN THE BASE, ITS ONLY HAD ONE SKIM OF FILLER /COAT OF PRIMER BUT WILL NEED A FEW MORE HOURS BEFORE ITS READY TO PAINT ,ITS NOW STRONG ENOUGH TO STAND ON. THE REAR CAT EYE TAILIGHT HONG KONG £7.99 CAME, BUT JUST BOLTING ON TO REAR DID NOT LOOK RIGHT, SO A BLOCK OF POLYSTYRENE SHAPED AS LIGHT BECAME A FIBREGLASS MOULD TO WHICH WHEN CURED WAS GLASSED INSIDE SEAT COWL THE LIGHT WILL NOW BE INSET INTO COWL BUT NOW NEEDING A NEW NUMBER PLATE LIGHT. LED SMALL NO PLATE EBAY £3.50. THE SEAT, A PIECE OF MDF WITH HOLES DRILLED IN IT TO LIGHTEN IT, WAS ALSO PAINTED TO SEAL IT . THE FOAM WAS 2 GARDEN KNEELING PADS STUCK / SHAPED TOGETHER,£1 each poundland, THE LOCAL MARKET SUPPLIED HALF METRE OF LEATHERCLOTH £6 ENOUGH FOR TWO SEATS A20MM SHEET OF UPHOLSTERY FOAM ADDED ON TOP £4 , A SMALL BACK PAD I MADE UP FINISHED IT OFF.BEING A SMALL SEAT MIGHT CHANGE DESIGN IN FUTURE. NOT HAVING A LATHE THE REAR SETS WOULD BE PROBABLY EASIER TO USE/ MODIFY ONES ALREADY MADE. LATE YAMAHA R6 WAS WON ON EBAY WITH GEAR CHANGE £31.25, THE BRAKE SIDE WAS FAIRLY STRAIGHT FORWARD USING ONE FRAME MOUNT AND ONE HOMEMADE ONE IT WAS MOUNTED ROUGHLY 160MM HIGHER 220 MM BACK FROM ORIGINAL FOOTREST. I HAD ORDERED 3X5INCH 4MM ALLOY PLATES EBAY £3.48 MOUNTING CCM BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER TO HOMEMADE ADAPTER BRACKET TO YAMAHA MASTER CYLINDER MOUNTING HOLES ON REAR SET. THE GEAR SHIFT IS A REMOTE UNIT, NOT CONNECTED TO REAR SET,THE LEFT REAR SET ONCE AGAIN USING ONE FRAME MOUNT AND MAKING / WELDING ON ONE. A BOLT WITH A SHOULDER WAS CUT DOWN WELDED ONTO A PLATE FOR GEAR LEVER TO PIVOT ON. TO GET A STRAIGHT PULL ON GEAR SHIFT ROD IT HAD TO BE MOUNTED INBOARD OF FRAME NOT IDEAL THIS FRAME WAS NOT DESIGNED FOR THE FITTING OF REAR SETS. THE GEAR SHIFT KNUCKLE 2011 HONDA CBR250 BOUGHT EBAY £5.25 LOOKED TO BE RIGHT SIZE BUT NO THE SPLINES ARE FINE THE SUZUKI COARSE THE SPLINES WERE CUT OFF BOTH AND WERE WELDED TO MAKE ONE WORKING JOINT ,THE ROD ALSO WAS SHORTENED AND RETAPPED IT NOW WORKS BUT IT OF COURSE THE GEAR CHANGE PATTERN IS 1up 4 down. A LATE NIGHT BROWSE FOUND A LATE YAMAHA LH SWITCH GEAR COMPLETE WITH CHOKE CABLE £2.70 BARGAIN, ALLOY CNC Machined 54MM INDCATOR FORK CLAMPS WERE PURCHASED CHINA £17.84 ALONG WITH A CHROME 7 INCH HEADLIGHT COMPLETE WITH BULBS UK EBAY £38.75. THE CLAMPS HAVE BEEN COMPLETELY MODIFIED AS WHEN FITTED THE DESIGNED WAY THE PINCH BOLT CLAMP WAS HITTING THE TANK ON FULL LOCK. THIS HAS BEEN RECTIFIED BY CHOPPING OFF INDICATOR MOUNT OFF FRONT AND TURNING BRACKETS ABOUT FACE, THE PINCH BOLTS ARE NOW HOLDING THE NEW HOMEMADE 4MM ALLOY PLATES TO HEADLIGHT AT FRONT, THESE CLAMPS WERE ANODISED BLACK I HAD TO SAND THEM DOWN AND POLISH THEM WILL DO PROPERLY LATER ON. THE SPEEDO AND REV COUNTER LOOKS TO BE EXPENSIVE PARTS, THE WIRING WILL PROBABLY BE REPLACED, A ONE OFF EXHAUST WILL HAVE TO BE MADE, ITS NOW 21ST APRIL DONT THINK IT WILL BE READY FOR WHIT 2014.WILL POST MORE AT LATER DATE, CHEERS.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ian6pot
Member Avatar
God
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Looking good, some seroius work going on. :worthy:

BTW turn your caps lock off, its concided shouting.

mphbhp
Member Avatar
PIE EATER
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This is gonna look epic! Keep up the good work and keep us updated with lots of pictures :D
Posted Image

wirral121
Duke
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I actually type with one finger it took me well over a hour to type out the first time, I didn,t type it with capitals ,though had to have help putting photobucket photos on by my son, he left me to put the last couple on I pressed a button and promptly lost everything I had previously done.We could not retrieve it so I had to start again hence easy to write in capitals sorry .Any comments , suggestions, questions feel free I will do my best to answer. CHEERS.

hursty46
Member Avatar
The Hulk
Looking very smart keep us all up to date with the progress of your project
Posted Image

Like my CCM I'm old, overweight and badly maintained but I can still surprise you by how fast I can move!!

houdini
Baron
[ *  *  * ]
cool project any chance of a pic of your tank and front end setup just curious is all

stevo604
Member Avatar
God
keep up the good work lookin good :twss:

wirral121
Duke
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
HOUDINI - Actually looking at fitting a two and half inch monza petrol cap as gsx250 tank did not come with one fitted ,also converting petrol tap which I bought separately off Ebay to manual, its a diaphragm type in standard form, also an idea to indent tank for a special one off tank badges, will post photos when done.

wirral121
Duke
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Not got a lot done since end of Apri,l Father in law seriously ill, visiting twice a day for over two weeks but passed away peacefully in hospital. Funeral to arrange then sorting house out since. My Mother went into hospital for over a week thankfully she,s out now ok at present.I did manage to take some more photo,s of what progress I,ve made.
Posted Image
Hopefully this picture shows where original tank mount had to be chopped off to clear GSX tank a 10mm tube with 6mm boss nuts were tack welded in after the frame was drilled. The original tank rubbers fitted and are virtually flush with frame. The seat unit had a skim of filler and a coat of primer but is still not quite there ,the idea was to shape it like the tank in reverse.
Posted Image
Tried fitting controls on handle bars the Yamaha fazer swich gear with choke cable fits but the cable needs alot of modifying to fit choke ,probably stay with the ccm one ,clutch cable route found in the end and seems to be ok, throttle cable fits ok , the brake hose is too long so a shorter one will have to be found. A few photos of front controls.
Posted Image
Posted Image
I Knocked this battery tray up from pieces of angle iron from an old packing crate from a pit bike , I knew it would be useful one day. The rubber strap was recycled of the CCM it fits comfortably under seat hump ,probably bolt it on with other electrics.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The exhaust was next on my list obviously the standard one is not ideal for the cafť racer look. I looked at Jays flat tracker 710 version the underslung exhaust is in the right design of things, but as my bike is lowered 5 Ĺ inches the exhaust might be too low under the frame. I rang up CCM about the sledgehammer front pipe, Yes we have a front header pipe 3 Ĺ feet of stainless well over£300. A lot of money for something that will probably have to be modified .So I ordered 5 bends of various degrees of 45mm mild steel tube EBay again about £8 each +P+P , plus 1metre length .Researching up on exhaust headers I decided to keep it exactly the same around 48 inchís. I chopped of the first 20mm of the original header complete with flange and it was a nice tight fit in the first bend. I tried to keep it high as possible, keeping it the same length as original I had to sweep it forward abit before sweeping back. It was all cut with an angle grinder ,no fancy band saws here, my son Aaron helped tack weld it together, he then took it to work and tig welded it up. The 1 metre length I didnít need. A bracket was welded on to exhaust to bolt onto frame mount already there. I welded a collar on exhaust for rear silencer to but up to ,the rear silencer a 17 inch reverse cone MEGATON usually fitted to brit classic bikes cost under £50, It weighs over six pound lighter than standard , If you look inside there is nothing much in there I think itís going to be loud might have to budget for a decibal killer. A 30mm x8mm alloy flat bar EBay £5.49 was used for the rear hanger I drilled a series of holes in it (no drill press) by hand then welded brackets to rear sub frame. I have since bought clocks and new ignition switch Iím in the process of getting speedo mount tig welded as its alloy ,Have no pictures of these will show next time . L looking at exhaust not sure if I like the kick forward now, Do I cut it put a new bend in, or should it be left alone I suppose itís different, the plan is to have the header ceramic coated.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Rob 110
Member Avatar
God
whoah! :)
sorry about the family stuff :(
CLICK HERE TO DONATE TO THE FORUM

DIRTY R30 644 '03 TPS done, gubbins gone, GSXR can, 150 main, 27.5 pilot, needle 2nd position, K&N no lid
FILTHY 404DS '04: 152 main, 70 pilot air jet, 38 pilot, emm needle 4th clip, Quill T3. Sold :(
HUSKY FE501 missile
Posted Image

ian6pot
Member Avatar
God
I like it when people just get stuck in and make it happen. Great job :dirtbike:

jay
Prince
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
excellent job,keep the progress coming :worthy:
AKA-THE DUCK

Dougiebabe2003
Viscount
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sorry to hear about family

Project looking great, keep it up :dirtbike:

houdini
Baron
[ *  *  * ]
great work gear lingake is tasty

wirral121
Duke
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Family commitments etc have slowed build down just thought Iwould update before my holiday, I,m away for 3 weeks so here is were I,m at . The local media blaster lives up the road I asked how much to blast tank? £35 he repied, so I dug the nitromors and scotch pad out, the original paint came off in about half hour.The underside was surface rusty but cleaned off with a variety of wire /paint stripper pads in angle grinder. The whole underside had rust converter put on followed by etch primer then normal primer. The next idea was to put round indent in tank for special tank badges. I thought of several ways to do this but obtaining large 3mm thick washers, Welding them to tank then blending tank panel with chemical metal filler would give the best effect .
Posted Image
The filling took a few hours but its very close to the finished article ,etch primer /normal primer followed.A thin guide coat of black then blocking down will see how good it is
Posted Image
The bike came of its bike stand and I wheeled it outside to see if sidestand needed shortening ,with a 5 1/2 inch suspension drop it looks perfect i,ll leave it as is
Posted Image
The bike feels really light and small. After searching the web /ebay I went with the DIGITAL SPEEDOS.CO.UK for my classic stainless steel speedo and rev counter look , after messaging them they suggested looking at Daytona range ,I messaged back and asked what they could do price wise on speedo, rev counter and speed sensor kit, knowing the price to be £195 +PP they replied £170 incP+P If you dont ask you dont get .
Posted Image
This is,nt a budget breaker I knew to get the look they would be probably be the dearest parts bought. I had one alloy plate left over from an earlier buy, this I shaped into speedo /rev counter /Ign switch plate mounted on top most original handlebar holes .Another plate was bent round to protect switch etc , my son had it over two weeks at work /too busy to tig together? After getting it back I aradited two alloy blocks to join them together.
Posted Image
These were what was left of rear exhaust hanger strap then drilled and countersunk 4 bolts to keep them together. A LUCAS type ignition switch £7 ebay plus two LED warning lights highbeam/ neutral £4 ebay mounted on switch plate. A custom made HEL front brake hose ordered £25 inc P+P . fits perfectly
Posted Image
Mounted battery tray ECU mount bracket (home made) fuses / bracket relay under seat hump.The rectifier mounted under tank ,out of sight ,not enclosed though. I took vinyl of foam seat , going to get someone to stitch me anew cover with pleats in to give it more style, just looked too plain, should not cost too much. I was hoping before hols, to have my retired auto electrician friend to take alook and possibly make up anew wiring harness up while I was away ,had no time too busy will have to do when I come back. Brought my modded crf250l out of garage to compare sizes of bikes the crf250l seems heavier and has a seat height of 34.75 inchs I am 5 '10" 12 stone and easy flat foot the crf.
Posted Image
The CCM cafe racer is around 31.5 inchs but feels tiny compared to crf250l .The mocking up is finished now time to take apart ,polish ,paint, powder coat etc ,just going to ask Ritchie to look at electrics 1st, dont want to weld/ drill things after its all painted.WILL CARRY ON WHEN I RETURN OFF HOLS CHEERS.
Posted Image

Monty
Member Avatar
Charlie Big Banana's
wow looking good matey
If it aint sharp I can play with it
My Utube Channel, lots of bike vids here. Subscribe if you likehttp://www.youtube.com/user/choppermark?feature=watch

Posted Image

stevo604
Member Avatar
God
nice project coming along nicely

48 si
Member Avatar
Baron
[ *  *  * ]
That is looking really good....Nice job

Dodger
Viscount
[ *  *  *  * ]
Nice work , looking good.

wirral121
Duke
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Been busy after holiday but took ccm to Richies my retired auto electrician friend who has helped me out over the years when I have had a electrical problem I cannot sort out. He has had the bike just over two weeks (I told him there is no rush). Today 27th SEPT It started up for the 1st time since December,with the aid of a mock up fuel tank It,s not overly loud and ticked over ok. He has made a complete new harness up ,battery and ecu ,relays, fuses are all under rear seat hump every wire has been replaced including connectors, he reckons he has put 40+ hours into it plus parts he is yet to work out a price.Will post pictures when bike is brought home .

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply